Mark C. Starbuck
Netuitive (2015 – Current)
Senior Platform Support Engineer
MicroStrategy, Inc. – Premium Customer Support Group (2011 – 2015)
Premium Support Lead / Senior Premium Support Engineer / Premium Support Engineer
- MicroStrategy Certified Engineer – diagnosed product defects, workarounds, and solutions
- Proactively created projects to improve workflows and enrich customer/internal experiences.
- Designed and executed a restructuring of the Premium Support offering, which succeeded to reduced interactions with escalation resources by 80% per quarter. Improved consistency of engineer availability and knowledge transfer. Created new career paths and seniority.
- Designed the workflow and coded JSON (REST API) and SQL for transactions for use by the MicroStrategy Support Mobile App (iOS).
- Constructed and scripted a centralized Version Matrix system to track customer infrastructure versions and configuration, for faster reference.
- Drafted the “Actionable Intelligence Report” documentation system to identify actionable opportunities via site visits for revenue growth.
- Composed and edited technical articles and blogs with technical solutions/expositions, with videos, as well as product manual addendums.
- Led a team of 8-10 Premium Support Engineers, dedicated to maintenance and improvement of high-profile customers and complex MicroStrategy suite infrastructure.
- Lead and organized ad-hoc 24-7 response teams for critical customer fires and strategic account responsiveness.
- Mentored new Premium Support Engineers and conducted weekly employee 1-on-1s for personal career guidance.
- Performed frequent on-site support visits for critical infrastructure upgrades and account reviews.
- Provided demonstrations and trials of Premium account services to multiple customers, which resulted in enrollment to the service plan.
- Built trust and customer delight with both customer administrators and executive leadership.
- Employee of the Quarter: Q1 2012 and Q3 2012.
Virginia Tech – University Computing Support, 4HELP (2008 – 2010)
Technical Consultant / Get Connected Program Leader / Get Connected Team Leader
- Presented the computer network orientation to over 18k freshmen and their families during Fall Orientations.
- Coordinated summer programs to prepare for the “Get Connected” fall move-in: recruitment campaigns, interviews, presentation writing, material purchasing, marketing, and budgeting.
- Taught groups of technicians the basics of PC/MAC troubleshooting and relevant Virginia Tech infrastructure.
- Led teams of technicians to diagnose and repair computer and network issues in the field.
Virginia Tech Services, Inc (2007 – 2008)
Textbook Clerk, Reservations Leader, Orientation Representative
- Data entry and inventory management of the textbooks department.
- Redesigned and implemented Textbook Reservations system to reduce floor space requirements by 50%, improving both workflow and customer safety.
- Introduced customer interaction guidelines and logging to streamline Reservation identification and book retrieval.
- Created floorplans, maps, and signage for the partitioning of the department to redistribute shelving and guide customers.
- Represented Virginia Tech Services at Fall Orientation, fielding questions and taking reservations for Textbooks.
- Assistance in surge checkout lines.
Sean McClanahan Consulting, Inc. (2003 – 2004)
- Installation and configuration of network, firewall, and file servers.
- Provided end-user desktop support and installation.
- Coded light PHP website integration: market basket, content management, Windows authentication.
- Graphic and Website Design
- Established close relationships with clients to provide personalized support.
VisualLink Telecommunications, Inc. (2002 – 2003)
Technical Support (Level 2)
- Resolved escalated technical problems in a small team environment.
- Troubleshoot DNS, TCP/IP, Modem, and Wireless end-user issues.
Boy Scouts of America (1995-2001)
Eagle Scout / Assistant Scoutmaster (2011) / Senior Patrol Leader / Sea Scout
- Eagle Scout, Troop 312 (Bad Aibling, Germany).
- Project: Renovation of Bad Aibling Station playgrounds and parks.
- Apprentice Sea Scout, Scout Ship Viking #312 (Bad Aibling, Germany).
- Order of the Arrow, Ordeal.
- Staff Member of the 1998 InterCamp (Bad Kreuznach, Germany) an international scouting event.
- Staff Member of the 2000/2001 Golden Falcon leadership camp, providing leadership and communication classes.
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg VA (Fall 2010)
- Bachelor of Arts, History
- Phi Alpha Theta, Dean’s List
- Phoenix Award 2010
- Phi Alpha Theta
Lord Fairfax Community College, Middletown VA (Spring 2007)
- Transferred to Virginia Tech, Sociology
- “Arsenic and Old Lace” dinner theatre, lead role
- Fairfax Forensics Team: 3rd Place in Poetry
- Phi Theta Kappa
Tools & Technologies
- Certifications: MicroStrategy Certified Engineer, 9.4.x Certification, Usher Certification.
- Tools: MicroStrategy Suite, VMWare vCloud, HTTPWatch, Fiddler, Toad, SFTP, Dependency Walker, Eclipse, Perfmon, BMC Remedy, WireShark, DeWalt.
- Operating Systems: Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Windows Server.
- Application Servers: IIS, Tomcat, WebSphere, WebLogic, Active Directory/LDAP, Java Virtual Machine.
- Languages: C++, JSON, PHP, SQL.
Honors and Recognitions
- MicroStrategy Support Employee of the Quarter, Q1 2012 & Q3 2012.
- Phi Theta Kappa International Honors Society.
- Phi Alpha Theta History Honors Fraternity.
- Virginia Tech Dean’s List for Fall 2008, Spring 2010, and Fall 2010.
- Eagle Scout (2001). Order of the Arrow. Golden Falcon certified.
- Letter of Commendation (Citation) from Lt. Commander R.E. Maguire (USN), Commanding Officer of 18th US Army Security Agency Field Station, Germany.